Diz Runs With… Bruce Van Horn
On today’s run, I’m joining Bruce Van Horn, who literally credits running with saving his life. He was in a dark place on a variety of fronts (work, relational, overweight, just unhappy), and was always looking for the next “bad thing” to happen.
That all changed when he listened to his brother’s encouraging words and started running again for the first time since being a member of the cross country team in high school.
Here are just a few of the highlights from our conversation.
- It took almost a month to be able to jog 1 mile on the treadmill without walking.
- Started a blog looking at the mental aspects of his marathon training.
- The importance of positive thoughts–in running and in life.
- Shifting gears mid-race once a BQ was not a possibility.
- Getting blindsided by a life threatening diagnosis, and overcoming it to get back on track.
- Getting involved with Run for Fun Cruise.
To connect further with Bruce Van Horn, there are many ways to find him on-line.
Join The Tribe!
There’s always room for more members of the tribe!
Both the Facebook group and the email group provide opportunities that can’t be found anywhere else.
The Facebook group is still small, but it is a great way to connect with fellow runners and foster community amongst like minded individuals. The email group is THE way to stay up to date about future guests on the show, as well as getting some other freebies and offers that aren’t available to anyone else.
If you’ve got questions about either/both, just let me know!
One of the best in the series. Bruce really gives the feel that anybody can do this. I’ve read his book and this interview complements the book nicely.
Thanks Bill. I really appreciate it.
Bruce was a great guy to talk to, and you’re right, really shows that anyone can do it if they’re willing to be dedicated to the process.