Emily Harrison is hands down one of the best ultra runners in the world.
From the time she started running in middle school, she’s always tended excel at the longer distances. As a professional, she continues to excel at the longer distances. Currently, she’s most comfortable in the 50 mile range, but who knows what the future holds in terms of running even longer distances.
During my chat with Emily we talked about her running career to date, continuing to learn about what it takes to run longer distances, the atmosphere surrounded an event like the Olympic Trials, and a whole lot more.
“Consistency, in my mind, is more important than being able to hit a training cycle hard and then being injured or burnt out.” ~Emily Harrison
Here are some of the highlights from my chat with Emily Harrison
- Running long has always been her strength
- Being in the mix for an Olympic spot in the marathon (2012) before trying an ultra
- Trying to figure out fueling strategies for longer distance races, especially after learning about some food sensitivities she has
- Running the Olympic Trials this year as a hybrid of a workout and a race
- Comparing and contrasting an elite road race to an elite trail race
- Race dynamics of running a looped course
- What separates the competitors at an elite level
- What training looks like at the elite level
- Consistency of training and training smart to avoid injury
- The importance of regular strength training, especially targeting the glutes and core
- The schedule for 2016, and her rule of thumb when it comes to planning her race schedule with a focus on recovery
Want to Support the Continued Growth & Production of the Show?
Check out the support page for ideas and suggestions of ways you can help me grow the show. And remember, not all support involves things that cost you money. Some of the best ways you can show your support are 100% free.
Subscribe to the Show
Never miss another episode of the Diz Runs With podcast by subscribing to the show, and for my fellow Apple fans out there, it’s never been easier now that the podcast app is native on the new operating system.
iPhone/iPod/iPad users click here.
Android users click here.
SoundCloud users click here.
Please Give Me Some Feedback!
Take the 6 question listener survey to help me shape the future of this podcast.
Register for a Free Race Training Plan
Join The Tribe!
There’s always room for more members of the tribe!
The Facebook group is still small, but it is a great way to connect with fellow runners and foster community amongst like minded individuals. The email group is THE way to stay up to date about future guests on the show, as well as getting some other freebies and offers that aren’t available to anyone else.
If you’ve got questions about either/both, just let me know!