Erika Howder is a self-described “adult onset runner”, but she is certainly making up for lost time.
One of her secrets to knocking off a handful of states most years is to run in the Mainly Marathon series where there are races in different states every day over the course of 5-7 days. I’ve actually looked into these races before, and kind of disregarded them, but after our chat she’s definitely reopened my eyes to the idea of running several marathons in several states over the course of a week.
In addition to talking about the race series, we also talked about the dynamics of traveling to races with family, training for running back to back races, and what beers are best for after a race/run. Needless to say, we covered a lot of ground!
Here are Some of the Highlights of My Chat with Erika Howder
- She likes the half, but wouldn’t mind liking the full marathon more
- The origin of MCMmamaruns
- She started running to help with her postpartum depression
- Her goal of running a race in every state meshes well with her husband’s goal of visiting every county in the USA
- Her love of Mainly Marathons, and selling me on the idea of running a looped marathon
- Her recovery process when running back to back races
- Running her first ultra later this year with the goal of going 50 miles (24 hour event at Across the Years)
- The best beers for drinking after a race
- The dangers of trail running in Alaska vs DC
- Running a race slowly but still having FUN
Enter to Win a Free Pair of Jabra Pulse Headphones and Support the Show at http://jabra.com/dizruns
Want to Support the Continued Growth & Production of the Show?
Check out the support page for ideas and suggestions of ways you can help me grow the show. And remember, not all support involves money. Some of the best ways you can show your support are 100% free.
Subscribe to the Show
Never miss another episode of the Diz Runs With podcast by subscribing to the show, and for my fellow Apple fans out there, it’s never been easier now that the podcast app is native on the new operating system.
iPhone/iPod/iPad users click here.
Android users click here.
SoundCloud users click here.
Please Give Me Some Feedback!
Take the 6 question listener survey to help me shape the future of this podcast.
Register for a Free Race Training Plan
Join The Tribe!
There’s always room for more members of the tribe!
The Facebook group is still small, but it is a great way to connect with fellow runners and foster community amongst like minded individuals. The email group is THE way to stay up to date about future guests on the show, as well as getting some other freebies and offers that aren’t available to anyone else.
If you’ve got questions about either/both, just let me know!