On today’s show, I’m joining a Greg Unger for a few easy miles.
Greg has an amazing story when it comes to his evolution as a runner, starting off as a very serious body builder before diving into the deep end of the running scene. And as you can see, he doesn’t exactly look like your typical marathoner/endurance athlete.
Greg wasn’t a runner growing up, but he definitely was into lifting weights. At some point a few years ago, he decided he wanted to drop a little bit of weight and started to dabble with running here and there.
As his health habits improved and he continued to feel better, he really got into endurance sports.
And the rest, as they say, is history.
Here are some of the highlights of our conversation:
- Why he walked off the course of a 100 mile race at Mile 92
- The “high” he gets from running compares to nothing else
- Getting hooked on lifting weights as a kid, and lifting for hours each day
- The habit of “going big or going home” in every aspect of his life
- Finishing his first triathlon, and the emotions that went with it
- Learning not to judge an athlete by his or her physical appearance
- The constant need to be something more than he is currently
- The reactions he receives every time he enters a race, and the motivation he draws from it
If you’d like to connect with Greg, and I’d encourage you to do so, check out his blogs at UngerMotivation.com, Evolve the Mind, and Born to Run Far. You can also connect with Greg on Twitter, on Facebook, on Instagram, and find his videos on YouTube.
Today’s episode is brought to you by Bombas. Save 20% on your first order by visiting DizRuns.com/socks
Subscribe to the Show
Never miss another episode of the Diz Runs With podcast by subscribing to the show, and for my fellow Apple fans out there, it’s never been easier now that the podcast app is native on the new operating system.
iPhone/iPod/iPad users click here.
Android users click here.
SoundCloud users click here.
Please Give Me Some Feedback!
Take the 6 question listener survey to help me shape the future of this podcast.
Interested in the 2015 Virtual Running Summit?
Please visit the summit page so I can share updates and information with you.
Join Me on a Live Webinar
Sign up/get more details by clicking here.
Register for a Free Race Training Plan
Join The Tribe!
There’s always room for more members of the tribe!
The Facebook group is still small, but it is a great way to connect with fellow runners and foster community amongst like minded individuals. The email group is THE way to stay up to date about future guests on the show, as well as getting some other freebies and offers that aren’t available to anyone else.
If you’ve got questions about either/both, just let me know!