On today’s episode of the show, I’m talking with runner, triathlete, and coach Heather Blackmon.
Heather is a very goal oriented type of individual, and soon after she started running she set the goal of running a marathon. While she didn’t particularly enjoy running in those early days, having the goal of a marathon in mind kept her going. And by the time she got to the finish line, she had developed the taste for running and hasn’t looked back.
In addition to taking up running, she also has competed in a variety of triathlons and has finished one Ironman.
And FYI, if you’re not sure about the swimming component of triathlons you can still participate in multi-sport events, aka duathlons!
Here are some of the the highlights from my chat with Heather Blackmon
- Grew up as a dancer before eventually finding her way to running
- Developing the taste for running and endurance sports in general
- A possible negative of the online running community for new runners?
- Learning more from the tough times than from the times when everything is smooth sailing
- Tips for trying out the triathlon for runners
- Hesitant to try triathlons because of the swim? How about duathlons?
- The importance of practicing all elements of our sport
- Fitting in the training for a triathlon with all of the other demands of life
- Why cycling is better cross training for runners than swimming
- Getting into coaching after hiring her first coach
- Combining travel and racing
Enter to Win a Free Pair of Jabra Pulse Headphones and Support the Show at http://jabra.com/dizruns
Want to Support the Continued Growth & Production of the Show?
Check out the support page for ideas and suggestions of ways you can help me grow the show. And remember, not all support involves things that cost you money. Some of the best ways you can show your support are 100% free.
Subscribe to the Show
Never miss another episode of the Diz Runs With podcast by subscribing to the show, and for my fellow Apple fans out there, it’s never been easier now that the podcast app is native on the new operating system.
iPhone/iPod/iPad users click here.
Android users click here.
SoundCloud users click here.
Please Give Me Some Feedback!
Take the 6 question listener survey to help me shape the future of this podcast.
Register for a Free Race Training Plan
Join The Tribe!
There’s always room for more members of the tribe!
The Facebook group is still small, but it is a great way to connect with fellow runners and foster community amongst like minded individuals. The email group is THE way to stay up to date about future guests on the show, as well as getting some other freebies and offers that aren’t available to anyone else.
If you’ve got questions about either/both, just let me know!