On today’s run, I’m joining Ian Sharman for a few easy miles. Now, if you don’t know who Ian is, you’re obviously not a member of the ultra marathon community.
Since he started running, which was only about 10 years ago, he has completed 200 marathon or longer races! He has also set a new record for the Grand Slam of Ultrarunning, become the director of the US Sky Running Series, and coaches some of the top ultra marathoners in the world. To say this guy is a pillar in the ultra running community is obviously an understatement.
We obviously talked a lot about different aspects of how his love of running has exploded in the past decade. Here are a few of the highlights of our conversation.
- When the race actually starts during an ultra marathon.
- The different vibes between the ultra community and the road running community.
- Why road running is beneficial for trail running and ultra marathoners.
- He was inspired to begin running by watching a documentary about running across the Sahara. So he signed up for the race (which is 150 miles, by the way) and figured he needed to start running to prepare for the race!
- Running, and setting a new record, in the Grand Slam.
- The selective memory associated with running ultra marathons.
- What his favorite race is, and the number of ways that it is unique.
- The creation of the US Sky Running Series.
- Lessons learned from dealing with an injury.
I had a blast talking with Ian Sharman, and it’s really amazing to me what he’s done in such a short time as a runner. I mean, he’s only been running for a decade! I am definitely looking forward to continuing to follow him in the coming years.
If you’d like to follow along with me, here are the best places to stay up to date with what Ian is doing.
Follow his blog: http://sharmanian.blogspot.com
For info on his coaching services: http://sharmanultra.com
And you can also follow him on twitter: http://twitter.com/sharmanian
Subscribe to the Show
Never miss another episode of the Diz Runs With podcast by subscribing to the show, and for my fellow Apple fans out there, it’s never been easier now that the podcast app is native on the new operating system.
Join Me on a Live Webinar
Every Tuesday at 9 pm, I spend about an talking about different ways to help you become a better runner. Sign up/get more details by clicking here.
Register for a Free Race Training Plan
Join The Tribe!
There’s always room for more members of the tribe!
The Facebook group is still small, but it is a great way to connect with fellow runners and foster community amongst like minded individuals. The email group is THE way to stay up to date about future guests on the show, as well as getting some other freebies and offers that aren’t available to anyone else.
If you’ve got questions about either/both, just let me know!