One of the best things about the running community is the community itself.
As an active member of the online running community, I’ve loved the friends of made from around the world as a direct result of the running community.
But as awesome as the online running community is, there is nothing like having a local community of runners to be a part of.
If you’ve thought about joining your local running club, but haven’t yet for whatever reason, I’d encourage you to do it.
Here are 10 reasons that I am proud of being a member of my local running club, in case you need help deciding to join your local club.
10 Great Reasons to Join Your Local Running Club
- Local Race Discounts–Since the local running club probably sponsors/hosts many races, don’t be surprised if you get a voucher if you join the club.
- Learn from Others–There will be runners that are more experienced than you in the club, learn from them.
- Help Others–There will be others looking for advice, help them if you’re able.
- Friendly Competition–Instead of racing “that guy”, you’ll now be running against Jim, Steve, and Beth. It’s easy to dig a little deeper/kick a little harder when bragging rights are on the line.
- Support Causes–The local club is always working to improve the local running community in a variety of ways, and as a member of the club you are helping to support those same causes.
- Support Future Runners–The club may offer scholarships, kids running programs, or other ways to support and encourage young runners.
- Meet New Runners–Hanging out at club events, you’re bound to meet plenty of new runners in your community.
- Lasting Friendships–And since runners are such good people, some of those runners you meet will likely become friends for a long time.
- Great Motivation–Between making new friends, learning from others, and the possibility of a free race voucher, you’ll have loads of motivation to keep running after joining a running club.
- You Are a Runner, Right?–Sure, you don’t need to join the running club to be a runner, but as a runner I can’t imagine not being a member of my running club. Our club is amazing, and the value we receive as members far exceeds the minimal cost of an annual membership!
Are you a member of your local running club? Why or why not?