On today’s episode of the podcast, I’m joining Lanni Marchant who is the Canadian National Record holder of the half and full marathon distances.
And when she’s not training, she’s also working full time as a defense attorney at a firm in Chattanooga, TN.
We had a great chat, focusing not only on her running but also with balancing running and a career and how the two complement each other.
We also talked about the importance of not beating yourself up. Lanni has battled some body image issues in her past, and as she overcame those issues she learned to accept the physical traits that she can not change. We also talked about not beating yourself up due to missed runs because life happens.
If you miss a run, it’s really not the end of the world!
We definitely had a great chat, and here are some of the highlights from today’s episode:
- Transitioning to the 10k after making her name as a marathon runner
- The strategy adjustments required to compete with an international field on the track
- Working towards running in Rio in 2016 in either the marathon or the 10k
- Running started as a punishment, but turned into a joy
- Quitting figure skating to focus on running meant firing her mom as her figure skating coach
- Dealing with a number of injuries throughout her career, especially in the earlier years
- The realization that if she could stay healthy she could compete with just about anyone
- Overcoming body image issues helped her stay healthy and excel
- Setting the Canadian record at the Toronto Waterfront Marathon in 2013
- Balancing her work as a lawyer while training to run at the highest levels
- Always on the lookout for a good IPA
- Don’t stress when life gets in the way
Subscribe to the Show
Never miss another episode of the Diz Runs With podcast by subscribing to the show, and for my fellow Apple fans out there, it’s never been easier now that the podcast app is native on the new operating system.
iPhone/iPod/iPad users click here.
Android users click here.
SoundCloud users click here.
Please Give Me Some Feedback!
Take the 6 question listener survey to help me shape the future of this podcast.
Register for a Free Race Training Plan
Join The Tribe!
There’s always room for more members of the tribe!
The Facebook group is still small, but it is a great way to connect with fellow runners and foster community amongst like minded individuals. The email group is THE way to stay up to date about future guests on the show, as well as getting some other freebies and offers that aren’t available to anyone else.
If you’ve got questions about either/both, just let me know!