Margaret Webb set a fitness goal that many people would consider impossible-to be as fit in her 50s as she has been at any point in her life.
And she did it.
In her book Older, Faster, Stronger: What Women Runners Can Teach Us All About Living Younger, Longer, Margaret goes into great detail about her experience living her “super fit year”, and some of the changes that she saw in her health and her life.
She also sought out some amazing masters athletes (particularly runners) and shared conversations with some women that are doing amazing things on the track and on the roads into their 70s, 80s, and beyond.
We talked a lot about Margaret’s super fit year, her book, and just about the importance of being active at every stage of your life during our conversation today. Here are some of the highlights.
- Her goal to be as fit at 50 as she was as a varsity hockey player in university 30 years prior
- How she was able to determine her level of success
- The power of speed work to slow the aging process
- The lessons learned during her super fit year, beyond just the physical ones
- Stories of older women runners still racing, and setting world records, well into their 80s and beyond
- The experience of attending World Masters Championships
- Why healthy living and physical activity isn’t pushed more than medications and disease treatment
- The lack of attention for the accomplishments of masters athletes
If you’d like to read her book, and I highly recommend it, you can order the book here.
Subscribe to the Show
Never miss another episode of the Diz Runs With podcast by subscribing to the show, and for my fellow Apple fans out there, it’s never been easier now that the podcast app is native on the new operating system.
iPhone/iPod/iPad users click here.
Android users click here.
SoundCloud users click here.
Please Give Me Some Feedback!
Take the 6 question listener survey to help me shape the future of this podcast.
Interested in the 2015 Virtual Running Summit?
Please visit the summit page so I can share updates and information with you.
Join Me on a Live Webinar
Sign up/get more details by clicking here.
Register for a Free Race Training Plan
Join The Tribe!
There’s always room for more members of the tribe!
The Facebook group is still small, but it is a great way to connect with fellow runners and foster community amongst like minded individuals. The email group is THE way to stay up to date about future guests on the show, as well as getting some other freebies and offers that aren’t available to anyone else.
If you’ve got questions about either/both, just let me know!