Matt Fitzgerald decided he wanted to be a runner as a kid. He also knew that he wanted to be a writer.
And he has succeeded on both accounts!
In today’s episode, I’m talking with author Matt Fitzgerald about a whole array of topics. We cover his running history from the day he decided to be serious about running as a kid, to giving it up during college, and the serendipitous events that brought him back to the sport.
On the author side of the things, we talked about several of his books that pertain to running, healthy eating, and his newest book looking at the role our minds play in our running.
Here are some of the highlights from our chat.
- The influence of peer pressure in getting ready for running an ultra marathon
- Running across the finish line at the Boston Marathon with his dad as a young kid
- Why he’d rather write a book over a magazine article
- The biggest problem that many regular runners make on the majority of their runs
- The most simple way to gauge if you’re running your easy runs at the right pace
- The benefits of truly following the 80/20 principal in training
- The role of diet in separating elite athletes, and lessons we can learn
- Why our brains prevent us from giving maximal effort
After talking with Matt, I’m really interested in learning more about the 80/20 running principal.
I’m thinking about doing an online-book club, where we will read through the book and discuss it over the course of several weeks. If you’re interested in joining me, click here to sign up and I’ll send you the details.
*If you choose to purchase one of Matt’s books by using my Amazon Affiliate links, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Subscribe to the Show
Never miss another episode of the Diz Runs With podcast by subscribing to the show, and for my fellow Apple fans out there, it’s never been easier now that the podcast app is native on the new operating system.
iPhone/iPod/iPad users click here.
Android users click here.
SoundCloud users click here.
Please Give Me Some Feedback!
Take the 6 question listener survey to help me shape the future of this podcast.
Register for a Free Race Training Plan
Join The Tribe!
There’s always room for more members of the tribe!
The Facebook group is still small, but it is a great way to connect with fellow runners and foster community amongst like minded individuals. The email group is THE way to stay up to date about future guests on the show, as well as getting some other freebies and offers that aren’t available to anyone else.
If you’ve got questions about either/both, just let me know!