Today I’m joining Nicki Conroy, who is the first member of the online running community that I had the pleasure to meet in real life at a race.
Nicki is an adult onset runner who started pounding the pavement in her mid-40s. And since then, she’s run several marathons, half marathons, and other road races. She has currently sworn of the marathon distance, for reasons that we discuss in the show, but the door to the return to 26.2 is at least still cracked open slightly.
Never say never, I guess.
We covered a lot of ground in today’s episode, from running to blogging to the weather and politics! (Don’t worry, we stayed VERY MUCH in the middle when it comes to the politics!)
Here are some of the highlights from my chat with Nicki Conroy
- Doing more cross training before a race, and not noticing any negative effects in performance
- Learning a hard lesson about the importance of adequate recovery
- The difference between running up and down hills versus running flat for days
- Started running, in part, in an attempt to outrun heredity with no desire to ever run a race
- The social draw of running and racing, both in real life and online
- The appeal of moving from Upstate New York to North Carolina
- Started blogging in 2005 and she writes about a wide variety of topics
- Tentative plans in place between now and April 2016, and after that who knows!
Enter to Win a Free Pair of Jabra Pulse Headphones and Support the Show at http://jabra.com/dizruns
Subscribe to the Show
Never miss another episode of the Diz Runs With podcast by subscribing to the show, and for my fellow Apple fans out there, it’s never been easier now that the podcast app is native on the new operating system.
iPhone/iPod/iPad users click here.
Android users click here.
SoundCloud users click here.
Please Give Me Some Feedback!
Take the 6 question listener survey to help me shape the future of this podcast.
Register for a Free Race Training Plan
Join The Tribe!
There’s always room for more members of the tribe!
The Facebook group is still small, but it is a great way to connect with fellow runners and foster community amongst like minded individuals. The email group is THE way to stay up to date about future guests on the show, as well as getting some other freebies and offers that aren’t available to anyone else.
If you’ve got questions about either/both, just let me know!