Pat Mulder has completely changed his life in the past few years, and running has played a big role in that change. At an estimated 330 lbs in April of 2012, he decided to get on the treadmill and attempt to simply walk. After 20 minutes, he was finished and felt like he was going to “throw up”.
But it was a start.
Fast forward to today, and he’s in the 160-170 lb range and is currently on a run streak of over a year. We talked about his motivation to start taking control of his health, the lessons he’s learned so far, and what he has planned in the future in terms of running and fitness on our chat today. Here are just a few of the highlights:
- The process of progressing on the treadmill from a 20 minute walk to being able to run on a regular basis.
- The role that portion control played in his weight loss, and how that allows him to still indulge in some of his favorite foods on occasion.
- The adjustment from running on a treadmill to running outside for the first time.
- The “learning experience” of eating too much before a morning experience, and the ensuing porta-potty trips during the race.
- Literally running hundreds of miles with one of the best running partners in the world.
- How running with his dog keeps his runs from getting stale.
- Why his goal for 2015 is to actually run less than he did in 2014.
- The lessons he has learned since he started running and changing his life.
Pat’s story is an inspiration to me, and really demonstrates the power of taking consistent action on a daily basis and how that can lead to serious changes in your life. Whether you’ve been running for years, or whether you are exactly where Pat was when he first stepped onto the treadmill in 2012, I know you can take something from our chat today that can help you change your life for the better.
If you’d like to reach out to Pat, the best place to do so is on twitter. (@floppyhatphotos)
You can also subscribe to his daily vlog on YouTube. http://youtube.com/floppyhatphotos
Subscribe to the Show
Never miss another episode of the Diz Runs With podcast by subscribing to the show, and for my fellow Apple fans out there, it’s never been easier now that the podcast app is native on the new operating system.
iPhone/iPod/iPad users click here.
Android users click here.
SoundCloud users click here.
Interested in the 2015 Virtual Running Summit?
Please visit the summit page so I can share updates and information with you.
Join Me on a Live Webinar
Every Tuesday, I spend about an hour talking about different ways to help you become a better runner. Sign up/get more details by clicking here.
Register for a Free Race Training Plan
Join The Tribe!
There’s always room for more members of the tribe!
The Facebook group is still small, but it is a great way to connect with fellow runners and foster community amongst like minded individuals. The email group is THE way to stay up to date about future guests on the show, as well as getting some other freebies and offers that aren’t available to anyone else.
If you’ve got questions about either/both, just let me know!