I’ve known Pat Sawhill since we were kids.
We grew up in the same small town and went to high school together. While we weren’t close friends in high school, and haven’t talked in 15+ years, we “bumped back into each other” via the online running community.
Which is ironic, since neither of us were runners (or ever thought we’d ever be runners) back in our high school days.
He started running with the goal of losing weight and improving his health, but now has gotten to the point where if he doesn’t run for a few days he ends up grumpy and his wife kicks him out of the house to go run. Which is about how it works in my house as well.
During our chat we traded stories about how we got started with running, getting involved with Team Momentum, running for a cause, and a whole lot more.
Here are some of the highlights of today’s episode:
- His fondness for the struggle of running a full marathon
- Why he tried running for the first time, and ending up hooked
- His first interaction with the MDA after his son was born with a rare muscle disease
- Signing up to run Chicago with Team Momentum as his first marathon in 2014
- Comparing/contrasting the entire Team Momentum/Chicago Marathon experience between 2014 and 2015
- The races coming up in his future
- Being able to keep the competitive juices flowing, by competing with yourself, as a runner
- Bucket list races
If you’d like more information about Team Momentum, and maybe join the team for 2016, check out mdateam.org.
Subscribe to the Show
Never miss another episode of the Diz Runs With podcast by subscribing to the show, and for my fellow Apple fans out there, it’s never been easier now that the podcast app is native on the new operating system.
iPhone/iPod/iPad users click here.
Android users click here.
SoundCloud users click here.
Please Give Me Some Feedback!
Take the 6 question listener survey to help me shape the future of this podcast.
Register for a Free Race Training Plan
Join The Tribe!
There’s always room for more members of the tribe!
The Facebook group is still small, but it is a great way to connect with fellow runners and foster community amongst like minded individuals. The email group is THE way to stay up to date about future guests on the show, as well as getting some other freebies and offers that aren’t available to anyone else.
If you’ve got questions about either/both, just let me know!