Growing up, Ryan Hill was always best in class when it came to running the mile.
And that was just the start.
After starting to focus on running track in middle school, he steadily improved before becoming one of the top high school runners in his state (and also competing in some national events). After choosing to attend NC State, he steadily improved over his college career, culminating with making a US world team after his senior season.
As a pro, he continues to improve and has shown he belongs in the discussion on the national and international stages.
We talked about how he got his start as a runner, what his racing plans are for 2015, and he also offers some tips for us “regular” runners that I know I can benefit from (and hopefully you can too!). Here are some of the highlights from our chat:
- A very unique answer for the “What’s your favorite race distance?” question
- Getting started with track in middle school, and having a taste of success as well
- Rewriting the record books for his high school
- Progressing as a college athlete, and realizing he had a chance to make it as a professional
- What it’s like to run for Team USA
- Transitioning to pro running went well, but he did struggle with a bit of a sophomore slump
- What life is like for Ryan Hill beyond running
- Why it’s smart to train smarter and stay healthy
Subscribe to the Show
Never miss another episode of the Diz Runs With podcast by subscribing to the show, and for my fellow Apple fans out there, it’s never been easier now that the podcast app is native on the new operating system.
iPhone/iPod/iPad users click here.
Android users click here.
SoundCloud users click here.
Please Give Me Some Feedback!
Take the 6 question listener survey to help me shape the future of this podcast.
Register for a Free Race Training Plan
Join The Tribe!
There’s always room for more members of the tribe!
The Facebook group is still small, but it is a great way to connect with fellow runners and foster community amongst like minded individuals. The email group is THE way to stay up to date about future guests on the show, as well as getting some other freebies and offers that aren’t available to anyone else.
If you’ve got questions about either/both, just let me know!