Tina Muir is Open About Her Struggles as an Elite Runner
Today I’m running with another elite runner, and I’m definitely hoping to learn a thing or two from Tina Muir along the way.
Tina came to the US from England to run at Ferris State University in Big Rapids, MI, and definitely had a very successful college career. And after finishing 3rd in the Olympic Trials (in the 10k), she became even more determined to continue running and pursuing her goals.
And that determination has paid off!
Over the course of our chat, we talked about her past marathon experience, a pretty crazy double that she’s attempting (and that she’s halfway through), her perspective on recovery, comparing youth running in the US and England, and more.
Here are Some of the Highlights of My Chat with Tina Muir
- Her struggles with her first two marathons
- Having a better experience at the London Marathon, but still wondering if she could have race harder
- The roller coaster of emotions of being so close to making the Great Britain team for the 1/2 Marathon World Championships (She got the call to run for GB after all!)
- Caving to peer pressure to run the London Marathon a month after the 1/2 Marathon World Championships?
- The recovery process after a race, especially the week or so of not running immediately after the race
- Running for local clubs not for your school, is one of the big differences between youth running in England and the USA
- Hosting the Runner’s Connect podcast, Run for the Top
- Her future goals for races don’t tend to include specific times, and a bigger goal beyond her performance
- An iron man in the distant future?
If you would like to learn more about Tina Muir, check out her website and/or connect with her on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
Want to Support the Continued Growth & Production of the Show?
Check out the support page for ideas and suggestions of ways you can help me grow the show. And remember, not all support involves money. Some of the best ways you can show your support are 100% free.
Subscribe to the Show
Never miss another episode of the Diz Runs With podcast by subscribing to the show, and for my fellow Apple fans out there, it’s never been easier now that the podcast app is native on the new operating system. iPhone/iPod/iPad users click here. Android users click here. SoundCloud users click here.
Please Give Me Some Feedback!
Take the 6 question listener survey to help me shape the future of this podcast.
Register for a Free Race Training Plan
Every month, I’m giving away a FREE training plan for the race of your choice. For details/information, and to sign up, just click here.
Join The Tribe!
There’s always room for more members of the tribe! Both the Facebook group and the email group provide opportunities that can’t be found anywhere else. The Facebook group is still small, but it is a great way to connect with fellow runners and foster community amongst like minded individuals. The email group is THE way to stay up to date about future guests on the show, as well as getting some other freebies and offers that aren’t available to anyone else. If you’ve got questions about either/both, just let me know!
Loved this chat! My take away is similar to yours: it is ok to take time off after a big race and we won’t lose a lot of fitness as a result. (I told myself I was going to do that after my Gasparilla 15k. I wish I listened because I know now that I needed that time both mentally and physically.)
Live and learn Jill!
Thank you so much for having me on the show!!! I had a lot of fun talking with you, and I would be happy to go into further detail if anyone is interested 🙂 Thanks for the great chat 🙂
You bet Tina! Good luck in London!
Loved listening to your chat with Denny. Toward the end you mentioned something about working with others to make them feel good about themselves physically. Could you expand on those plans a bit? Thank you!!!