Tyler McCandless is Chasing the Olympics and His PhD-Best Of
The 2016 Olympics are the goal of Tyler McCandless. Yet he has found more success as a runner as he has focused less on running and more on some of his other endeavors.
And he has many other endeavors.
In addition to being a pro runner, Tyler is also working on his PhD in Meteorology. He also has chosen to give back, in a big way, to kids on the Hawaiian Island of Kauai with the support of his sponsor Newton.
We covered all of these topics and then some, but here are some of the highlights from our run:
- The low-point of his professional career and losing his sponsor.
- Why signing with Newton running has been a blessing on many levels.
- Becoming an adopted son of the Kauai marathon, and how it has inspired him to embrace the “aloha spirit”.
- The million dollar question, after completing the PhD program, a “real” job or continue with running professionally?
- What was the catalyst for his love of meteorology?
- The Olympics is the goal, but it’s not the sole focus.
If you’d like to connect with Tyler, and follow along with his pursuit of the Olympics and a PhD, here are the best places to connect with him.
- On Facebook–TrackTy (Athlete page)
- On Twitter–@trackty
- On Instagram–@trackty
- On the Web–tylermccandless.com
Subscribe to the Show
Never miss another episode of the Diz Runs With podcast by subscribing to the show, and for my fellow Apple fans out there, it’s never been easier now that the podcast app is native on the new operating system.
iPhone/iPod/iPad users click here.
Android users click here.
SoundCloud users click here.
Please Give Me Some Feedback!
Take the 6 question listener survey to help me shape the future of this podcast.
Register for a Free Race Training Plan
Every month, I’m giving away a free training plan for the race of your choice. For details/information, and to sign up, just click here.
Join The Tribe!
There’s always room for more members of the tribe!
Both the Facebook group and the email group provide opportunities that can’t be found anywhere else.
The Facebook group is still small, but it is a great way to connect with fellow runners and foster community amongst like minded individuals. The email group is THE way to stay up to date about future guests on the show, as well as getting some other freebies and offers that aren’t available to anyone else.
If you’ve got questions about either/both, just let me know!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!