The 2016 Olympics are the goal of Tyler McCandless. Yet he has found more success as a runner as he has focused less on running and more on some of his other endeavors.
And he has many such endeavors.
In addition to being a pro runner, Tyler is also working on his PhD. He also has chosen to give back, in a big way, to kids on the Hawaiian Island of Kauai. We covered all of these topics and then some, but here are some of the highlights from our run:
- The low-point of his professional career and losing his sponsor.
- Why signing with Newton running has been a blessing on many levels.
- Becoming an adopted son of the Kauai marathon, and how it has inspired him to embrace the “aloha spirit”.
- The million dollar question, after completing the PhD program, a “real” job or continue with running professionally?
- What was the catalyst for his love of meteorology?
- The Olympics is the goal, but it’s not the sole focus.
If you’d like to connect with Tyler, and follow along with his pursuit of the Olympics and a PhD, here are the best places to connect with him.
On Facebook–TrackTy (Athlete page)
On the Web–tylermccandless.com
Subscribe to the Show
Never miss another episode of the Diz Runs With podcast by subscribing to the show, and for my fellow Apple fans out there, it’s never been easier now that the podcast app is native on the new operating system.
Register for a Free Race Training Plan
Join The Tribe!
There’s always room for more members of the tribe!
The Facebook group is still small, but it is a great way to connect with fellow runners and foster community amongst like minded individuals. The email group is THE way to stay up to date about future guests on the show, as well as getting some other freebies and offers that aren’t available to anyone else.
If you’ve got questions about either/both, just let me know!