When he signed up for his first 5k, Bill Culver had no idea what he was getting himself into.
A little over a year later, he has run a lot of races, a lot of miles, and learned a lot of lessons about himself and about running in the process. While some of those lessons have been a little bit painful, both literally and figuratively, he is looking forward to using the knowledge and experiences of 2014 to help him continue to grow and improve as a runner in 2015.
We covered a lot of his running ups and downs on our run today, and there are many lessons that both veteran runners and newbie runners can use to help them improve as well. Here are just a few of the highlights of our conversation:
- He ran his first 1/2 marathon having never done any run longer than a 10k.
- His first marathon wasn’t even his goal race, it was just a part of his training for his goal event.
- The lessons learned while crashing and burning (and bonking!) during his first marathon.
- Running the 2015 Dopey series at the WDW Marathon
- Getting race weary and dealing with mental and physical fatigue.
- A much lighter race schedule for 2015, but a focus on more intentional training with a BQ as the goal.
- Advice to people that are new to running/things he wish he had known a year ago.
- How his competitive nature continues to push him to improve.
Bill has been an inspiration to me this year as I’ve been able to follow his journey on twitter and through his blog.
Subscribe to the Show
Never miss another episode of the Diz Runs With podcast by subscribing to the show, and for my fellow Apple fans out there, it’s never been easier now that the podcast app is native on the new operating system.
iPhone/iPod/iPad users click here.
Android users click here.
SoundCloud users click here.
Interested in the 2015 Virtual Running Summit?
Please visit the summit page so I can share updates and information with you.
Join Me on a Live Webinar
Every Tuesday, I spend about an hour talking about different ways to help you become a better runner. Sign up/get more details by clicking here.
Register for a Free Race Training Plan
Join The Tribe!
There’s always room for more members of the tribe!
The Facebook group is still small, but it is a great way to connect with fellow runners and foster community amongst like minded individuals. The email group is THE way to stay up to date about future guests on the show, as well as getting some other freebies and offers that aren’t available to anyone else.
If you’ve got questions about either/both, just let me know!