These days, most of my runs don’t involve me listening to music because I’m either running/talking with others or I’m listening to podcasts.
But on race day, the last thing I want to have to do is to fiddle with my phone to switch podcasts, so for the ECHO Half Marathon this morning I pulled my old iPod shuffle out of my bag for the first time in many months.
This iPod is glorious, y’all.
I don’t remember when I loaded it, but it’s got about 7 hours of music on it and it plays in a completely random order.
And the music? Most of it is from my college computer (with a few more recent songs included) so every race that I use this iPod is a fun trip down memory lane, with some hip hop/rap, rock, pop, and maybe a little country as well.
And today was no different.
Some of the Songs from My Run Today
Behold, my 10 favorite songs from today’s race, in no particular order:
- Power by Kanye West-Say what you want about Kanye, but this is a good song and the beat is legit!
- Bitch by Meredith Brooks-Not sure why, but I’ve always really liked this song. When it came up, it was a nice trip back to buying the single from my hometown record store back in ninety-whatever.
- Cowboy by Kid Rock-Love me some Kid Rock!
- All These Things That I’ve Done by The Killers-Great line near the end of the song…”I’ve got soul but I’m not a soldier” always makes me feel like continuing to soldier on, no matter how I’m feeling.
- It’s Goin Down by Young Joc-No fancy reasons here, just a song that makes me want to sing along and maybe throw in a few dance moves too.
- One Shot 2 Shot by Eminem-I love the music and the beat for this song, but man the lyrics are ROUGH. That said, when the song starts I can’t help but smile and start bobbing my head (and maybe sing along as well).
- Timber by Pitbull/Ke$ha-Judge me for liking this song, I’m fine with it!
- Zoot Suit Riot by Cherry Poppin Daddies-There’s pretty much never a bad time for swing music. Period.
- I Just Had Sex by The Lonley Island-I first heard this song as a digital short on SNL. The song is as funny as you’d expect it to be.
- Waka Waka by Shakira-I’ve got a serious crush on Shakira, and the Spanish version of this song (which was the theme for the 2010 World Cup) is just awesome.
These songs may or may not resonate with you, but they were all much appreciated by me today.
Can’t wait for my next race, so I can break my old iPod out again and see what’s in store!
Do You Put Your Race Music into a Specific Order, Or Just Let Things Go Willy Nilly? Any of My Songs from Today on Your Playlist?